Fitness, Wellness

I Am Most Myself When I Am Still

October 11, 2016
thirsty-buddha-142

Even though I’m aware of this, I’m not still often enough. Which in turn means I’m missing opportunities to let my true self shine.

I’ll say it again “I Am Most Myself When I Am Still.” Its actually a quote from Eckhart Tolle, Oprah calls him the rock star of spiritual enlightenment and it’s so true in my opinion. By the way, if you haven’t read A New Earth please do it’s transformative.

The thing is, it’s hard for me to stay still, my mind is always going, even when I have a massage I can’t just relax. Especially now when I’m feeling pressure to do something. I’m going to events, running around to meetings. Plus everyone’s asking “So what’s next?…” “What are you doing now?..” “Can’t wait to see what’s next!” Yes I have a plan but I want to take my time in executing that plan and I want to make sure that I take care of myself.  I am 100% in transition as I know many of your are. I also want this to be a time of reflection and introspection. I plan to make more time for stillness which I hope will give way to more authenticity.

I’m grateful for Buddha Brands Co for helping me kick start that journey. I took part in their hydration boot camp last week, as they launched their new Thirsty Buddha with Watermelon.  It’s Gluten free, no sugar added, all natural coconut water aaaaannnd they’re a Canadian company (you may have seen them on Dragon’s Den .) Good feelings all around. In case you can’t spot me below I’m the one in the bright orange (I didn’t get the black or white memo I guess) Had a wonderful workout session, a yummy meal and a really thought provoking chat with some like-minded individuals. Hoping for more opportunities like this.

So…my fellow peeps in transition, do you struggle with wellness like I do and do you have any advice? Please share in the comment section below.

thirsty-buddha-142

014f443ec714b2ebd95a8ccb054f9d267e38da3cf3

thirsty-buddha-180 thirsty-buddha-190

For exclusive giveaways, offers, and general awesomeness subscribe to my email list below.

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

• Reply Monique Daniel October 12, 2016 at 3:18 am

Hi Nneka, thanks for writing what a lot of us professional working moms are feeling too! I’m in the PR industry, happily married for 5 years and expecting our second child in a few months. So I’m familiar with the transition you’re referring to! For me, in my industry, it’s an alienating experience being married and having children at my age as the majority of my co-workers are not only white Canadian (I’m Jamaican-Canadian and proudly raised in the islands which forms part of my true identity) but they delay child-bearing until their thirties after they’ve “established their career.” I am building a family and a life just as my career is taking off, which I’ve perceived to be a major no-no. Even though I value my career, I am happy with my decision to be a wife and then, a mother; why delay my happiness and life’s destiny?

Like you, yoga is extremely therapeutic to me and is one of my favourite ways to reconnect with my inner self and just – BE STILL. However due to a pregnancy complication, I am unable to participate in prenatal yoga at all. But I can’t wait to partake in Baby & Me yoga classes in the New Year!

P.s. I have to check out that new Thirsty Buddha with Watermelon flavour, it sounds really yummy and I love their coconut water!

• Reply Nneka Elliott October 17, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for sharing! Yea I’m really hoping to do more yoga. Looking for classes as we speak!

• Reply Ti. October 12, 2016 at 3:32 am

Thanks for sharing, Nneka. I’m transition too… Left my CEO job, then took a year sabbatical. I think the taking sabbatical really did centre me. Going away from all things familiar, including friends, home, social media actually did help me.

Good luck on your journey!

• Reply Kamaal H October 12, 2016 at 4:14 pm

I can’t agree with Eckhart Tolle’s statement. He states ” I am most myself when I am still” is blatantly ridiculous. If you were to remain still wouldn’t that make you stagnant ? maybe I’m missing something Nneka, and if I’am please correct me. If you remain still there’s no growth coming from that. We live to take chances and go up against the odds, I mean that’s what makes us who we are. We can’t do this being still. I thought who is this guy and when I looked up Mr. Tolle; I really don’t agree with many of his statements ! Something I always say is seize the day, because tomorrow is a new beginning. Meaning get as much as you can out of today, because tomorrow is a new day and a chance for new opportunities. And with that, I wish you a bless day Nneka!

• Reply Chantal October 12, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Hey Nneka you are on fhe rigbt track! You mentioned the Eckhart Tolle book, I read A New Earth when I was in despair about my life and the direction it was NOT going in. This book helped me to move forward more positively and showed me my life isn’t defined by my negative thoughts. This was life changing for me. Yoga and meditation has helped me to stop the noise in my head that can take over in everyday life. Through meditation I can hear the whispers of what I need, it also gives me inspiration and all sorts of positivity. Yoga and meditation has become an important part of my life.. even if I fall off the wagon I get back on it because I know at the end of the day that’s what keeps me strong and moving forward.

• Reply Nneka Elliott October 17, 2016 at 2:53 pm

So true girl!

• Reply Night 4: Nneka's 10 Nights Of Holiday Delights - nnekaelliott.comnnekaelliott.com December 8, 2016 at 11:21 pm

[…] may recall my post on stillness in October . We really have to remind ourselves that keeping hydrated is just as important during […]